No matter where you live in Canada, you’re legally required to have automobile insurance on your vehicle. But insurance is regulated by the provinces and it’s different in each one. Whether you’re getting coverage for the first time, moving to another province, or renewing your existing plan, it’s important to know what’s mandatory and if there are options you might want to add.

Every province and territory requires you to be covered for damage you do to others, but the minimum amounts may be far less than what you might ring up in a crash. If you’re not insured above that, you could be on the hook for the difference. You may also want comprehensive and collision coverage for your own vehicle if your jurisdiction doesn’t require it. If your vehicle is financed, your lender may require you to have it.

In most provinces and territories, private insurance companies provide coverage. In British Columbia, Manitoba, and Saskatchewan, drivers buy their basic mandatory insurance from the government. In Quebec, the government pays injury claims, while private insurers cover drivers for property damage.

All provinces and territories use “no-fault” insurance. It doesn’t mean everyone is blameless—at least one driver will be considered at fault in a crash—but that drivers get compensation from their own insurance companies, rather than having to deal directly with the other motorist’s insurer.

Some use variations on no-fault coverage. Alberta drivers only get moderate amounts from their own companies and must go after the other person’s insurer for anything above that. Quebec and Manitoba drivers qualify for large amounts through their policies, and are not allowed to sue the other person’s insurer for more.

We’ve rounded up information on the minimums required by each of the provinces and territories in our gallery above. This is just a general guide and you should check with your insurer for everything you’ll need. All jurisdictions include death benefits, but with so many rate variations that we haven’t included them here. (With thanks to the Insurance Bureau of Canada for the information.)